John Yorke has devised a series of online courses and mentoring programmes to help people put the philosophy outlined in Into the Woods to practical use.
- Discover how narrative works in drama, factual TV and business.
- Understand the practical applications of story structure, for making order out of chaos, communicating with more clarity and leaving an audience feeling satisfied.
- Learn using practical exercises based on real-world examples.
- Fit learning around a busy schedule, with 24/7 access wherever you are.
- Suitable for freelance creatives looking to master the physics of storytelling, and businesses that need to create stories with impact.
- Devised in partnership with specialist online educators Professional Writing Academy, the UK’s foremost experts at teaching writing and storytelling online.
If you are interested in one of our script mentoring programmes, please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
John teaching at a London Screenwriters’ Festival masterclass. Pic: Phil Peel
CHOOSE THE RIGHT COURSE FOR YOU
“The most important thing is to just keep practising the craft of storytelling. It’s like playing an instrument: the more you do it, the better you get.” John Yorke
Story for Business
What organisations can learn from the movies. Starts 11 September
Story for Script Development (HETV)
Hone your script-development skills for the new generation of TV drama.
Starts 11 September
Story for Factual TV
Apply the principles of dramatic storytelling to create more compelling documentaries, factual and format shows. Starts 25 September
Story for Screen (Drama)
Shape your idea into a spec script. Starts 25 September
UNDERSTANDING HOW STORIES WORK BOOSTS CAREERS AND BUSINESSES
The Coroner (BBC1), written by Sally Abbott Photograph: Mike Hogan/BBC.
Good storytelling helps TV careers. Here are some of the achievements of John Yorke course alumni in 2014:
80 hours of British and Irish TV Drama written or commissioned
2 Hollywood movies commissioned
1 British movie commissioned
3 Original series created and commissioned
3 Original series recommissioned
2 Guardian/Observer Top 10 dramas of 2014
5 Original script commissions for BBC
2 Original script commissions for ITV
2 Original script commissions for C4/E4
10 members of core writing teams – Casualty, EastEnders, Holby, Coronation Street
1 Writer shortlisted for the Red Planet Prize
1 BBC Scotland writer in residence
3 BBC Radio 4 dramas commissioned or made
1 BBC Radio 3 drama commissioned or made
1 Royal Court main house show
"I often think the mark of a great teacher is one who leaves you feeling like you should have already known everything that was covered, so obvious is its sense."BBC Writers Festival attendee
“I really enjoyed John’s dynamism. His lecture – even though informal – was well presented. I think we were all captivated for those two hours.”De Montfort University, Leicester, lecture attendee
“That was an amazing class. It clarified areas that I have struggled to grasp. I would jump at the chance to take another class with John.”Galway Film Centre talk attendee